Acceptable Business Activities for US Visitors

Giselle Ayala Mateus, Esq.

Considering the costs of travel to another country, especially because of the value of currency other than dollars, visitors in the US are concerned about the activities they can perform to acquire some additional income to cover the expenses. However, the US Immigration Laws are strict and as a result of that, visitors have limited options to work in the US if they enter the country with a B1/B2 Visa.

In the first place, it is important to remember that both the B-1/B-2 and Visa Waiver Program have a basic requirement that the visitor has a permanent residence outside the US, in a foreign country. Basically, the purpose of this requirement is to have evidence that the visitor has no intention of abandoning his residence to stay indefinitely in the United States.

Considering this, visitor visas are often denied citing §214(b) of the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA). According to this rule, every person coming to the US with a nonimmigrant visa is presumed to be an immigrant until they establish, to the satisfaction of the consular officer at the time of application and the immigration officer at the time of application for admission (for instance, at the airport), that they are entitled to a nonimmigrant status.

Can I be denied admission for any reason?

The immigration laws are very broad in this scenario. Accordingly, consular officers and U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) officers at ports of entry have great discretion to determine if an applicant either intends to stay permanently in the US. Therefore, a lack of careful planning may result in the denial of the visa or the revocation of the visa at the airport in the United States.

To avoid a denial, the visitor should establish at least the following:

  • A residence in a foreign country, which they do not intend to abandon;
  • That the intent to enter the United States is for a limited period of time; and
  • That the sole purpose for the visit is to engage in legitimate activities related to business or pleasure.

Proving non-immigration intent

There are many different ways to prove you don’t have immigrant intent, that you just intend to visit for a limited period of time. To do it properly, G.A.M. Law Office can help you apply for your visa and design a strategy that fits your personal circumstances.

Both at the time of applying for the B visa and at the time of entry to the United States, a visitor must take into account that it is he, the foreigner who wishes to enter the United States, who must demonstrate that he does not wish to remain indefinitely in the country and that there is consistency between the purpose of the trip that the visitor stated in the visa petition, and the statements the visitor makes at the port of entry.

Having a residence, financial obligation and family ties abroad is always strong evidence of non-immigrant intent. This means that the visitor has a place of general abode overseas. Now, having a residence abroad does not mean, owning the home. It can be the visitor’s own home or the home of someone else, for instance, the visitor’s parents. However, ownership of real estate outside the US is even better than just having a residence.

Other useful evidence is documentation that proves that the visit has permanent employment, meaningful business or financial connections to his home country, close family relationships, or social or cultural ties indicating an intention to return. The main issue is this, as long as the visitor’s current intent is to return home, a consular officer may not deny a visa simply because they suspect that the person might be inclined to remain in the United States. However, a consular officer or an immigration officer at a port of entry could deny a visa or entry if the officer believes that the visitor intends to engage in unlawful activities.

The length of stay

The entry and permanence of a visitor who comes to the United States is subject to a maximum period of six months. Although a person can leave the United States after the expiration of six months and enter again, on many occasions a second visit in a short period of time may create suspicion.

Acceptable activities

Visitors to the US under a B1/B2 visa cannot engage in work in the United States. Let’s take a look of what “work” means and what a visitor should take into account when applying for their visa, making travel plans, and preparing their documentation.

United States immigration laws and regulations take a “broad-based functional view” of what constitutes “working” or “being employed.” Employment is considered “any service or work performed in the United States by an individual, which is not an independent contractor, for salary or other remuneration”. In this sense, “compensation” is defined as “some type of payment or exchange in kind to a person for a service or an expense”. Accordingly, a payment abroad that is made in exchange for services performed in the United States could be considered as “compensation” for the purposes of US laws regarding employment.

However, based on some decisions of the Board and Immigration Appeals, an activity may not be considered “employment” when the person or entity paying for a service maintains its principal place of business abroad, the visitor’s activities in the United States serve to promote the foreign employer’s interest outside the United States, and the visitor earns no income in the United States. Additionally, under the US immigration laws, it is also relevant to consider whether the person or entity that pays for a service maintains its main place of business abroad.

Here are some examples of permitted activities:

  • Coming to the United States to engage in commercial transactions that do not involve gainful employment in the United States;
  • Negotiating contracts;
  • Consulting with business associates;
  • Litigation;
  • Participating in scientific, educational, professional, or business conventions, conferences, or seminars;
  • Academic activities such as lecturing, guest teaching, or performing in an academic sponsored festival as long as the activities last no longer than nine days at any single institution or organization. An honorarium and incidental expenses may be paid as long as the B-1 visitor has not accepted such payment or expenses from more than five institutions or organizations over the last six months;
  • Undertaking independent research;

About Remote Work

Considering the broad language of the US immigration laws, a visitor may not work in the United States, even remotely, under the following conditions:

  • The activity carried out or the service provided generates income in the United States.
  • The activity is carried out with the intention of defrauding immigration regulations, for example, avoiding the expenses and procedure of an H work visa.
  • The employer in question is a company with operations in the United States, which could give rise to the argument that his principal place of business is in the United States.
  • There has been a lack of truth regarding the purpose of the trip of the person requesting entry to the United States.
  • The activities carried out could deny job opportunities to those who are part of the United States labor market.

Some important cases

There is minimal case law on deportations for the performance of unauthorized activities in which a foreign employer without material legal ties to the United States remunerates employees or contractors for conducting business or rendering services while physically present in the United States.

-United States ex rel. Krawitt v. Infosys Techs. Ltd., 342 F. Supp. 3d 958. In this case, the plaintiffs alleged that the Defendants, Apple Inc., a company organized under the laws of the United States, and Infosys Techs Ltd., a company organized under the laws of India, conspired to have two Indian nationals enter the United States on a B-1 business visa to provide training at Apple in violation of the US immigration laws.

Having found that both Infosys Techs Ltd. and the two employees maintained their principal place of business in Bangalore, India, the United States District Court for the Northern District of California, San Jose Division, held that immigration regulations had not been broken. In addition, Apple paid Infosys $50,000, to receive among other services, training in the United States, the money was not paid directly to the two trainers.

Matter of Hira, 11 I&N Dec. 824 (BIA 1965, 1966; AG 1966). In this case, a Hong Kong suit manufacturer sent Hira (his employee) to the United States to take purchase orders and measurements from customers for suit manufacturing in Hong Kong. Payment for the suits was remitted to the manufacturer in Hong Kong, who then paid Hira in Hong Kong.

Considering that Hira’s principal place of business was Hong Kong, that the suits were manufactured in Hong Kong, and that sales profits were accrued and settled by payments to an account in Hong Kong, the Board of Immigration Appeals decided that the activity in question was not considered “work” and the conditions of Hira’s vis B-1 had not been violated.

Matter of Camilleri 17 I. & N. Dec. 441, 441-42 (BIA 1980). In this case, a Canadian citizen truck driver employed by a United States corporation was permitted to enter the United States on a B-1 visa to pick up cargo in the United States and transport it back to Canada.

    Immigration &
    Visa Solutions

    Immigration Lawyers In NYC – New York City

    Dedicated to assisting our clients with their most pressing U.S. Immigration matters in NYC, New York & beyond

    It can be very confusing when it comes to obtaining legal status, naturalization, or immigration in the US. Ensuring accuracy and taking the right steps are critical to being approved. Considering this, the first step is to make an initial consultation with an immigration lawyer in NYC, New York.

    Our NYC immigration attorneys at G.A.M. Law have years of experience handling immigration matters and the immigration process successfully. Our New York law firm primarily focuses on immigration law so that we may assist clients with Family Immigration, Naturalization, Employment Immigration, Deportation and Removal Defense, Green Cards, Immigrant Visas, Citizenship, and just about any immigration matter in the United States.

    Call (347) 329-3952 today to schedule your free consultation.

    Much of our practice is dedicated to meeting the legal needs of immigrants. We know what it takes to protect our clients in cases involving visa matters, labor certifications, and any immigration law issue that may arise in New York and the United States.

    Immigration law is an ever-evolving field. We understand how federal laws and regulations concerning immigration affect our clients’ lives. Our lawyers can give you the skilled representation you need to address your specific or complex immigration situation.

    G.A.M. Law Office Immigration Solutions

    Our law firm’s commitment to quality service extends from our highly skilled New York attorneys to our experienced professional staff. By building relationships based on trust, communication, and responsiveness, we tailor our service to ensure our client’s current needs are met while also anticipating their future needs… enabling them to accomplish more.

    Learn how our approach to solving immigration matters can benefit you and your family, contact the G.A.M Law Offices for a FREE initial consultation in New York.


    Naturalization is the process by which U.S. citizenship is granted to a lawful permanent resident after meeting the requirements established by Congress in the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA). Choosing to become a U.S. citizen is a very important decision. However, remember that becoming a US Citizen carries benefits and responsibilities.

    To become a citizen, applicants are required to complete and submit Form N-400, Application for U.S. Citizenship, and must meet the eligibility requirements set by the law. A Green card will also be needed.

    Contact the G.A.M. Law offices in Ney York City for help with the Naturalization process, eligibility, and citizenship.

    Green Cards

    Applying for permanent residency in the United States can be accomplished through adjustment of status or consular processing. Those who get the residence receive a document called a “green card”. At G.A.M. Law Office, our New York City attorneys advise our clients that are interested in United States citizenship about the options available for citizenship, immigration, and more.

    The process of getting a green card requires strategy and a fact-intensive analysis. Considering that the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) only approves a limited number of visas it is important for applicants to have a knowledgeable team of Immigration Attorneys from G.A.M Law Offices in NYC to help.

    U.S. Citizenship

    Becoming a U.S. Citizen is a privilege, take the right steps from the beginning to ensure a successful result. The process can be challenging, but it is ultimately very rewarding. An individual can obtain US citizenship in one of three ways. The majority of American citizens obtain their citizenship by having been born in the United States. Others are born abroad to at least one American citizen parent. The final group gains their US citizenship through a process called naturalization. Our immigration attorneys in NYC can assure answer your questions or concerns about U.S. Citizenship. Contact G.A.M. Law Offices today

    U.S. Residence

    Lawful permanent residency allows you to permanently live and work in the United States. To qualify, you must fall into one of the green card categories. In recent years it has been especially tricky for immigrants to get through the process, getting legal counsel can make the difference. Our New York immigration lawyers assist our clients in their lawful residency pursuits.

    Employment Immigration

    There are many options for someone interested in coming to the US to live or work., like with a green card, asylum or refugee petition, or a visa, H1b, O, P or E, R, etc. Thus, it is very important to understand your options and how they give you different opportunities to come to the US.

    One of the key principles guiding the U.S. immigration system has been admitting foreign workers with skills that are valuable to the US economy.

    Work Visas

    There are a variety of circumstances under which foreign companies and US employers can engage foreign nationals to work in the United States on a temporary or permanent basis. Not citizens, permanent residents, refugees, or asylees to the U.S. must first obtain authorization to work in the U.S. pursuant to nonimmigrant or immigrant visas.

    Artists, Athletes, and Entertainment Visas

    There are a variety of circumstances under which foreign companies and US employers can engage foreign nationals to work in the United States on a temporary or permanent basis. Not citizens, While the types of visas available to Artists and Entertainers may seem somewhat limited, each nonimmigrant US artist visa option and entertainer visa option has its own applicability, advantages, and limitations. It is therefore important that artists and entertainers, as well as their employers and/or agents, understand and be clear about the various options they may have, and what purpose each classification has so that any problems or issues that may arise with the immigration laws in the US can be avoided.

    Visas for Academics

    Foreign professors and researchers coming into the U.S. have expanded the community of science and technology specialists, bringing with them new and innovative ideas. The challenge for professors and researchers lies in selecting the appropriate pathway to bring and retain these individuals in the U.S. We present here an overview of some of the most commonly used nonimmigrant US visa options for professors and researchers. The immigration lawyers of G.A.M. Law Offices in New York are here to help students pursuing academics within the United States. Contact us today for a free consultation.

    Visas for Entrepreneurs

    Those foreigners who wish to come to the US to get started on an entrepreneurial path need to study their options carefully so that they understand the advantages and disadvantages of their options as well as the nuances of the immigration system. Our immigration lawyers can help foreign entrepreneurs through the visa process.

    Please follow and like us:

    Contact The Office

    Speak with an experienced lawyer in New York today.

    Call (347) 329-3952 today to schedule your consultation.

    Oh hi there 👋
    It’s nice to meet you.

    Sign up to receive awesome content in your inbox, every month.

    We don’t spam! Read our privacy policy for more info.

    You may also like…

    How to Start Your LLC

    How to Start Your LLC

    Beyond legalities, the name of your LLC sets the tone for your brand and how potential customers will perceive your company. A well-chosen name can convey professionalism, reliability, or creativity, depending on your goals.

    How to Transfer LLC Ownership in New York

    How to Transfer LLC Ownership in New York

    Having a share in an LLC (Limited Liability Company) can be a significant milestone in your professional journey. It signifies your essential role in a business and aligns your interests with the company’s success. However, life is full of unexpected changes, and your professional aspirations or personal circumstances may change.

    Call Now Button