Acceptable Business Activities for US Visitors

Giselle Ayala Mateus, Esq.

Considering the costs of travel to another country, especially because of the value of currency other than dollars, visitors in the US are concerned about the activities they can perform to acquire some additional income to cover the expenses. However, the US Immigration Laws are strict and as a result of that, visitors have limited options to work in the US if they enter the country with a B1/B2 Visa.

In the first place, it is important to remember that both the B-1/B-2 and Visa Waiver Program have a basic requirement that the visitor has a permanent residence outside the US, in a foreign country. Basically, the purpose of this requirement is to have evidence that the visitor has no intention of abandoning his residence to stay indefinitely in the United States.

Considering this, visitor visas are often denied citing §214(b) of the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA). According to this rule, every person coming to the US with a nonimmigrant visa is presumed to be an immigrant until they establish, to the satisfaction of the consular officer at the time of application and the immigration officer at the time of application for admission (for instance, at the airport), that they are entitled to a nonimmigrant status.

Can I be denied admission for any reason?

The immigration laws are very broad in this scenario. Accordingly, consular officers and U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) officers at ports of entry have great discretion to determine if an applicant either intends to stay permanently in the US. Therefore, a lack of careful planning may result in the denial of the visa or the revocation of the visa at the airport in the United States.

To avoid a denial, the visitor should establish at least the following:

  • A residence in a foreign country, which they do not intend to abandon;
  • That the intent to enter the United States is for a limited period of time; and
  • That the sole purpose for the visit is to engage in legitimate activities related to business or pleasure.

Proving non-immigration intent

There are many different ways to prove you don’t have immigrant intent, that you just intend to visit for a limited period of time. To do it properly, G.A.M. Law Office can help you apply for your visa and design a strategy that fits your personal circumstances.

Both at the time of applying for the B visa and at the time of entry to the United States, a visitor must take into account that it is he, the foreigner who wishes to enter the United States, who must demonstrate that he does not wish to remain indefinitely in the country and that there is consistency between the purpose of the trip that the visitor stated in the visa petition, and the statements the visitor makes at the port of entry.

Having a residence, financial obligation and family ties abroad is always strong evidence of non-immigrant intent. This means that the visitor has a place of general abode overseas. Now, having a residence abroad does not mean, owning the home. It can be the visitor’s own home or the home of someone else, for instance, the visitor’s parents. However, ownership of real estate outside the US is even better than just having a residence.

Other useful evidence is documentation that proves that the visit has permanent employment, meaningful business or financial connections to his home country, close family relationships, or social or cultural ties indicating an intention to return. The main issue is this, as long as the visitor’s current intent is to return home, a consular officer may not deny a visa simply because they suspect that the person might be inclined to remain in the United States. However, a consular officer or an immigration officer at a port of entry could deny a visa or entry if the officer believes that the visitor intends to engage in unlawful activities.

The length of stay

The entry and permanence of a visitor who comes to the United States is subject to a maximum period of six months. Although a person can leave the United States after the expiration of six months and enter again, on many occasions a second visit in a short period of time may create suspicion.

Acceptable activities

Visitors to the US under a B1/B2 visa cannot engage in work in the United States. Let’s take a look of what “work” means and what a visitor should take into account when applying for their visa, making travel plans, and preparing their documentation.

United States immigration laws and regulations take a “broad-based functional view” of what constitutes “working” or “being employed.” Employment is considered “any service or work performed in the United States by an individual, which is not an independent contractor, for salary or other remuneration”. In this sense, “compensation” is defined as “some type of payment or exchange in kind to a person for a service or an expense”. Accordingly, a payment abroad that is made in exchange for services performed in the United States could be considered as “compensation” for the purposes of US laws regarding employment.

However, based on some decisions of the Board and Immigration Appeals, an activity may not be considered “employment” when the person or entity paying for a service maintains its principal place of business abroad, the visitor’s activities in the United States serve to promote the foreign employer’s interest outside the United States, and the visitor earns no income in the United States. Additionally, under the US immigration laws, it is also relevant to consider whether the person or entity that pays for a service maintains its main place of business abroad.

Here are some examples of permitted activities:

  • Coming to the United States to engage in commercial transactions that do not involve gainful employment in the United States;
  • Negotiating contracts;
  • Consulting with business associates;
  • Litigation;
  • Participating in scientific, educational, professional, or business conventions, conferences, or seminars;
  • Academic activities such as lecturing, guest teaching, or performing in an academic sponsored festival as long as the activities last no longer than nine days at any single institution or organization. An honorarium and incidental expenses may be paid as long as the B-1 visitor has not accepted such payment or expenses from more than five institutions or organizations over the last six months;
  • Undertaking independent research;

About Remote Work

Considering the broad language of the US immigration laws, a visitor may not work in the United States, even remotely, under the following conditions:

  • The activity carried out or the service provided generates income in the United States.
  • The activity is carried out with the intention of defrauding immigration regulations, for example, avoiding the expenses and procedure of an H work visa.
  • The employer in question is a company with operations in the United States, which could give rise to the argument that his principal place of business is in the United States.
  • There has been a lack of truth regarding the purpose of the trip of the person requesting entry to the United States.
  • The activities carried out could deny job opportunities to those who are part of the United States labor market.

Some important cases

There is minimal case law on deportations for the performance of unauthorized activities in which a foreign employer without material legal ties to the United States remunerates employees or contractors for conducting business or rendering services while physically present in the United States.

-United States ex rel. Krawitt v. Infosys Techs. Ltd., 342 F. Supp. 3d 958. In this case, the plaintiffs alleged that the Defendants, Apple Inc., a company organized under the laws of the United States, and Infosys Techs Ltd., a company organized under the laws of India, conspired to have two Indian nationals enter the United States on a B-1 business visa to provide training at Apple in violation of the US immigration laws.

Having found that both Infosys Techs Ltd. and the two employees maintained their principal place of business in Bangalore, India, the United States District Court for the Northern District of California, San Jose Division, held that immigration regulations had not been broken. In addition, Apple paid Infosys $50,000, to receive among other services, training in the United States, the money was not paid directly to the two trainers.

Matter of Hira, 11 I&N Dec. 824 (BIA 1965, 1966; AG 1966). In this case, a Hong Kong suit manufacturer sent Hira (his employee) to the United States to take purchase orders and measurements from customers for suit manufacturing in Hong Kong. Payment for the suits was remitted to the manufacturer in Hong Kong, who then paid Hira in Hong Kong.

Considering that Hira’s principal place of business was Hong Kong, that the suits were manufactured in Hong Kong, and that sales profits were accrued and settled by payments to an account in Hong Kong, the Board of Immigration Appeals decided that the activity in question was not considered “work” and the conditions of Hira’s vis B-1 had not been violated.

Matter of Camilleri 17 I. & N. Dec. 441, 441-42 (BIA 1980). In this case, a Canadian citizen truck driver employed by a United States corporation was permitted to enter the United States on a B-1 visa to pick up cargo in the United States and transport it back to Canada.

    Inmigración New York Abogados y
    Soluciones Visa

    Inmigración New York Abogados NYC - Ciudad de Nueva York

    Dedicados a ayudar a nuestros clientes con sus asuntos de inmigración más urgentes en NYC, Nueva York y más allá.

    Puede ser muy confuso cuando se trata de obtener el estatus legal, la naturalización o la inmigración en los Estados Unidos. Garantizar la exactitud y dar los pasos correctos es fundamental para ser aprobado. Teniendo en cuenta esto, el primer paso es hacer una consulta inicial con un inmigración new york abogados.

    Nuestros abogados de inmigración de NYC en G.A.M. Law tienen años de experiencia manejando asuntos de inmigración y el proceso de inmigración con éxito. Nuestro bufete de abogados de Nueva York se centra principalmente en la ley de inmigración para que podamos ayudar a los clientes con Inmigración familiar, Naturalización, Empleo InmigraciónDefensa de la deportación y expulsión, Tarjetas verdes (Green Card), Visados para inmigrantes, Ciudadaníay casi cualquier asunto de inmigración en los Estados Unidos.

    Llame a (347) 329-3952 hoy para programar su consulta gratuita.

    Gran parte de nuestra práctica se dedica a satisfacer las necesidades legales de los inmigrantes. Sabemos lo que se necesita para proteger a nuestros clientes en casos relacionados con asuntos de visado, certificaciones laborales y cualquier asunto de la ley de inmigración que pueda surgir en New York y en los Estados Unidos.

    La ley de inmigración es un campo en constante evolución. Entendemos cómo las leyes y reglamentos federales relativos a la inmigración afectan a la vida de nuestros clientes. Nuestros abogados pueden darle la representación calificada que necesita para abordar su situación de inmigración específica o compleja.

    Inmigración New York Abogados | Nuestras soluciones de inmigración

    El compromiso de nuestro bufete con la calidad del servicio se extiende desde nuestros abogados altamente cualificados de New York hasta nuestro experimentado personal profesional. Mediante la construcción de relaciones basadas en la confianza, la comunicación y la capacidad de respuesta, adaptamos nuestro servicio para asegurar que las necesidades actuales de nuestros clientes sean satisfechas, al tiempo que anticipamos sus necesidades futuras... permitiéndoles lograr más.

    Conozca cómo nuestro enfoque para resolver asuntos de inmigración puede beneficiarle a usted y a su familia, póngase en contacto con el bufete de abogados G.A.M para una consulta inicial GRATUITA en New York.


    Naturalización es el proceso por el que se concede la ciudadanía estadounidense a un residente permanente legal tras cumplir los requisitos establecidos por el Congreso en la Ley de Inmigración y Nacionalidad (INA). La elección de convertirse en ciudadano estadounidense es una decisión muy importante. Sin embargo, recuerde que convertirse en ciudadano estadounidense conlleva beneficios y responsabilidades.

    Para obtener la ciudadanía, los solicitantes deben rellenar y presentar el formulario N-400, Solicitud de ciudadanía estadounidense, y deben cumplir los requisitos establecidos por la ley. Una Tarjeta verde también será necesario.

    Póngase en contacto con las oficinas de G.A.M. Law en New York para obtener ayuda con el proceso de naturalización, la elegibilidad y la ciudadanía.

    Tarjetas verdes (Green Card)

    Solicitud de residencia permanente en Estados Unidos puede conseguirse mediante el ajuste de estatus o la tramitación consular. Los que consiguen la residencia reciben un documento llamado "tarjeta verde". En G.A.M. Law Office, nuestros abogados de inmigración de New York asesorar a nuestros clientes que están interesados en la ciudadanía de los Estados Unidos sobre las opciones disponibles para la ciudadanía, la inmigración, y más.

    El proceso de obtener una tarjeta verde requiere una estrategia y un análisis intensivo de los hechos. Teniendo en cuenta que el Servicio de Ciudadanía e Inmigración de los Estados Unidos (USCIS) sólo aprueba un número limitado de visados, es importante que los solicitantes cuenten con la ayuda de un equipo de abogados expertos en inmigración de G.A.M Law Offices en Nueva York.

    Ciudadanía estadounidense

    Hacerse ciudadano estadounidense es un privilegio, tome las medidas adecuadas desde el principio para garantizar un resultado satisfactorio. El proceso puede ser difícil, pero al final es muy gratificante. Una persona puede obtener la ciudadanía estadounidense de una de estas tres maneras. La mayoría de los ciudadanos estadounidenses obtienen la nacionalidad por haber nacido en Estados Unidos. Otros nacen en el extranjero de al menos un progenitor ciudadano estadounidense. El último grupo obtiene su ciudadanía estadounidense a través de un proceso llamado naturalización. Nuestros abogados de inmigración en NYC pueden asegurar responder a sus preguntas o preocupaciones acerca de la ciudadanía estadounidense. Contacte con G.A.M. Law Offices hoy mismo

    Residencia en Estados Unidos

    Legal residencia permanente le permite vivir y trabajar permanentemente en Estados Unidos. Para poder optar a ella, debe pertenecer a una de las categorías de la tarjeta verde. En los últimos años ha sido especialmente difícil para los inmigrantes para pasar por el proceso, obtener asesoramiento legal puede hacer la diferencia. Nuestros abogados de inmigración de New York ayudan a nuestros clientes en su búsqueda de residencia legal.

    Empleo Inmigración

    Hay muchas opciones para alguien interesado en venir a Estados Unidos a vivir o trabajar, como con un tarjeta verde, petición de asilo o refugio, o un visado, H1b, O, P o E, R, etc. Por lo tanto, es muy importante entender sus opciones y cómo le dan diferentes oportunidades para venir a los Estados Unidos.

    Uno de los principios clave que guían el sistema de inmigración de Estados Unidos ha sido la admisión de trabajadores extranjeros con habilidades valiosas para la economía estadounidense.

    Visados de trabajo

    Existen diversas circunstancias en las que las empresas extranjeras y los empleadores estadounidenses pueden contratar a ciudadanos extranjeros para trabajar en Estados Unidos de forma temporal o permanente. Los no ciudadanos, los residentes permanentes, los refugiados o los asilados en EE.UU. deben obtener primero una autorización para trabajar en EE.UU. en virtud de visados de no inmigrante o de inmigrante.

    Visados para artistas, deportistas y espectáculos

    Existen diversas circunstancias en las que las empresas extranjeras y los empleadores estadounidenses pueden contratar a ciudadanos extranjeros para trabajar en Estados Unidos de forma temporal o permanente. Aunque los tipos de visados disponibles para los artistas y animadores pueden parecer algo limitados, cada opción de visado de artista y animador estadounidense no inmigrante tiene su propia aplicabilidad, ventajas y limitaciones. Por lo tanto, es importante que los artistas y animadores, así como sus empleadores y/o agentes, entiendan y tengan claras las distintas opciones que pueden tener, y qué finalidad tiene cada clasificación, de modo que se pueda evitar cualquier problema o cuestión que pueda surgir con las leyes de inmigración en EE.UU.

    Visados para académicos

    La llegada de profesores e investigadores extranjeros a EE.UU. ha ampliado la comunidad de especialistas en ciencia y tecnología, trayendo consigo ideas nuevas e innovadoras. El reto para los profesores e investigadores radica en la selección de la vía adecuada para traer y retener a estas personas en los EE.UU. Presentamos aquí una visión general de algunas de las opciones de visado de no inmigrante más utilizadas en los EE.UU. para profesores e investigadores. Los abogados de inmigración de G.A.M. Law Offices en Nueva York están aquí para ayudar a los estudiantes que persiguen fines académicos dentro de los Estados Unidos. Póngase en contacto con nosotros hoy para una su consulta gratuita.

    Visados para empresarios

    Aquellos extranjeros que deseen venir a EE.UU. para emprender un camino empresarial necesitan estudiar sus opciones cuidadosamente para entender las ventajas y desventajas de sus opciones, así como los matices del sistema de inmigración. Nuestros inmigración new york abogados pueden ayudar a los empresarios extranjeros en el proceso de obtención del visado.

    Llame a (347) 329-3952 hoy para programar su consulta gratuita.

    Please follow and like us:

    Need Legal Counsel?

    Comprometidos con su éxito

    You may also like…

    Call Now Button